Monday, March 10, 2008

"It's like Magic"


Bill and I just returned from a most romantic and exotic trip to Morocco to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. It was extrordinary and exceeded all of our expectations . I would highly recommend a trip to this magical country for anyone as it seems to have something for everyone!

We spent most of our time in Marrakech. Our first 4 nights we stayed in a tiny little Riad (Morocco's answer to B&B's) right smack in the middle of the medina (old city) within a minutes walk to the souks (markets). Our Riad Meriem was a most special place. At first we were a bit worried as we went deeper and deeper along the derbs (small streets) into the heart of the medina with a porter pulling our luggage in a hand cart. I had found the accomodation on the web and was beginning to doubt my choice. When we finally got to the tiny door in the dark and damp space I turned to Bill and said it HAD to be a mistake! But once that little door opened and we stepped into the marble coolness we knew all was going to be fine, just fine. Please see for yourself on their website. The luxury and service were beyond!

Walking, let alone shopping, in the souks, is not for the faint of heart. The number of pedestrians coupled with the variety of vehicles, most notably those annoying scooters (sorry, Cyrus) is enough to send this old girl over the top. Negoitating the sheer volume of humanity along the narrow derbs, lined with stalls is downright scary. Even in the wide boulevards, the huge variety of vehicles jockeying for position,. without any noticable rules or regulations was daunting. I asked our driver exactly how it all worked. He paused, and said, "It's like magic, madam". I thought about that statement, off and on, for the days we were there and he couldn 't have said it better. Magic. There is simply no other explanation.


Once again the highlight of our trip was a hike. A two day trek in the Atlas Mountains, to be exact. And once again the weather nearly killed us. High winds, rain and then snow nearly did me in but the destination was worth every second. Please check out Kasbah du Toubkal for all of the stunning details and photos. We started at the Kashbah, hiked to the mountain lodge and then back. The lodge has 3 rooms but the other two couples backed out due to the miserable conditions, leaving it to ourselves. I have always said that bad weather has its benefits.

I had some glorious free time to myself while Bill attended a conference. I took full advantage of this rare opportunity alone. I think the best fun was the cooking class I took. From the gorgeous venue to the participants to Mohammed the chef, it was a ball. We made a classic chicken tangine (don't pronounce the 1st "n") and a spicy cooked salad...to die for.

The hammam experience was also noteworthy. A hammam is a Moroccan spa complete with tradtional treatments that basically include washing, scrubbing, mud and bathing. My luxurious experience was quite the treat. I had two ladies in waiting and my own private pool with roses. Ahhh. I like being a kept woman while my husband is working. I think I'll keep him.

I organized my cooking class and hammam through the magnificient La Maison Arabe.

So all of this and we didn't even ride a camel. make it to the desert or hit the beaches. I am telling you once again...something for everyone!



More Highlights:
Macaroons and mint tea in the big square

Belly Dancers
Horse and buggy rides (even the locals use them!)
Snake charmers

Dates, figs and olives
Stylish restaurants
Friendly and handsome natives (those blue and green eyes!)








Sal

No comments: